Wednesday, August 12, 2020

[BOOK REVIEW] The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller


Rating: ★★★★★ 5 stars

Genres: Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Mythology

Trigger warnings: war themes, slavery, rape, character death, human sacrificing

Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. By all rights their paths should never cross, but Achilles takes the shamed prince as his friend, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of Achilles' mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess. But then word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped. Torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus journeys with Achilles to Troy, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear.”

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The Song of Achilles is a reimagining of the tale of Achilles from Greek mythology, though from Patroclus’ perspective. It follows the pair as they grow up and eventually fight in the Trojan War. I absolutely adore this book. I knew that once I finished Circe, I had to read this book! The pacing of the story is appropriate, the narrative is intense, the writing is poetic, and the character development is great. Miller’s beautiful and lyrical prose pulls you into the story, into the world and the minds of the characters. Miller is great at conveying the feelings of many of the characters, particularly Patroclus and Achilles. While I think the storytelling falls short of that of Circe, I loved this book so much more because of the characters and their relationship with one another.

Going into this book, I thought I would fall in love with Achilles, but I fell in love with Patroclus instead. I really enjoyed his development as a character over the course of the book. We see Patroclus grow from his insecurities and from someone who is self-loathing to someone who is comfortable in his own skin. I really liked his humility and his compassion in the face of war and death. He is a character who grows from being bitter to one who discovers the good in the world.

I also found Achilles’ character development to be interesting! We see him transform from someone who was innocent and kind to a ruthless, prideful warrior. Though I got a bit annoyed with his character during the Trojan War as he was really prideful and an asshole in general.

“I could recognize him by touch alone, by smell; I would know him blind, by the way his breaths came and his feet struck the earth. I would know him in death, at the end of the world.”

I absolutely adored the romance between Patroclus and Achilles. It was so sweet and I loved watching them grow up together and fall in love with each other. I love how passionate their love is and the lengths they would go for one another. Even when faced with the worst, they remain loyal to each other and protect each other, and the thought of their relationship makes me :’) I found myself heavily invested in their relationship and their development!

Overall, The Song of Achilles is an immersive, beautiful (and tragic) reimagining of the Trojan War. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys Greek mythology or who liked Circe to read this book!

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

End of non-spoiler section: spoilers below!

I’m just going to ramble a bit about Achilles and Patroclus and their love for one another :) I love them so much!!

“There, at last, is his heart. Blood spills between shoulder blades, dark and slick as oil. Achilles smiles as his face strikes the earth.”

Achilles. I really thought I would grow to love Achilles since he was so kind and innocent in the beginning. I didn’t exactly like him, but I didn’t have a problem with his character. But Trojan War Achilles? He annoyed me and he was an asshole!! I get how he’s destined to be a hero and greatest warrior of all time but damn he was so cocky and prideful. I don’t hate him but there were times where I just wanted to punch some sense and some modesty into him.

“Best of men. Best of the Myrmidons.”

Patroclus. Oh boy I love him A LOT. He is such a great and endearing character and I absolutely loved his character development. I especially love how his character developed during the Trojan War and how he kept his compassion and humility. He still loved and trusted Achilles despite his flaws and his arrogance. He tried to protect Achilles’ pride and honor and he was so loyal to him. He was the only one who was able to bring out the best in Achilles, even in death.

“He is half of my soul, as the poets say.”

I also loved watching their relationship develop throughout the novel. Their pining, their passionate love, their understanding of each other, their loyalty to one another!! They would go to the ends of the Earth to protect each other and wow I am so invested in their relationship :’) I really loved one scene (or scenes I don’t really remember) where Patroclus was trying to finds the parts of Achilles that he grew up with, the parts of Achilles that are not war-hardened or laced with his honor. I personally saw that as Patroclus tried to reassure himself that Achilles hasn’t changed, and he hasn’t in some ways, but Achilles has grown to be different from what Patroclus believed he would be for so long. And yet, Patroclus never left Achilles, never abandoned his loyalty for Achilles and even fought to preserve his honor.

“He holds me so tightly I can feel the faint beat of his chest, like the wings of a moth. An echo, the last bit of spirit still tethered to my body. A torment.”

And looking back, Achilles’ mourning of Patroclus really broke me because we saw Achilles stripped bare, stripped of his love and half his soul. Achilles crying and screaming over Patroclus’ body? That shit hurt a lot. I was also a little mad since I kind of blamed Achilles for Patroclus’ death. If he hadn’t been so prideful and stubborn, maybe Patroclus would’ve lived. (I also sometimes think about a parallel possibility that Achilles witnessed Patroclus getting killed directly on the battlefield...like if they were fighting side by side...whoo...the pain).

“I am made of memories.”

I also want to mention the very last scene, since it is another one of my favorites. Thetis was far from a good mother, but she was still a mother. I saw her visits to Achilles’ grave everyday come out of her love for her son and her guilt for missing out on his life and failing to understand him. I cried a little when Patroclus began to describe to her Achilles. Not of the greatest, triumphant warrior Achilles, but of his Achilles. Patroclus describes the color of his eyes when he laughed with him, his skill with the lyre, his beautiful voice, his kindness, all the memories full of love and happiness. He describes every memory of Achilles that was buried with him and brings them into light, where he can finally rest and meet Achilles once again.


- lian

No comments:

Post a Comment