Tuesday, June 23, 2020

The Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag 2020

Image about photography in BOOKS by Isabel on We Heart It

It's halfway through the year already!!
I started reading more books last December and have been steadily reading more as this year progressed!

Since I went a few years without reading new books, I was really interested to see how my taste in books has changed since I was younger. I still love reading fantasy books and I don't think I'll ever stop reading them. There is just something about this genre of books that provide a lot of comfort and enjoyment when I read them. I also learned that I am interested in new adult books and contemporaries and I am hoping to read more books of these genres in the future!

I honestly haven't read that many books so far this year, but I still wanted to participate in this tag!! I read 12 books so there might be some overlap! So yeah here we go!


1. Best Book you've read so far in 2020?

Amazon.com: The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War Book 2) eBook ...

The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang is probably my most favorite book so far this year! I really fell in love with Kuang's writing, the story, and her characters. It has become one of my favorite fantasy series and I have so many feelings about the characters and their relationships.

2. Your Favorite Sequel so far in 2020?

Amazon.com: The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War Book 2) eBook ...

I read a couple of sequels this year, but The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang is hands down the best one I've read this year. It was the best sequel in terms of pushing the narrative further and developing the characters more. I also felt more emotionally attached to the story and the characters in this book than the other sequels I've read.

3. New Release you haven't read but want to?

Amazon.com: Felix Ever After eBook: Callender, Kacen: Kindle Store

I've heard so many good things about Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender! I am really excited to get this book and I hope I can read it soon!

4. Most Anticipated Release for the second half of 2020?

Official Cover Of The Poppy War, Book 3: 'The Burning God' By ...

Definitely The Burning God by R.F. Kuang! I think I have established that I adore The Poppy War series, so it should be no surprise that I highly anticipate the last book of this series lmao. I am really excited to see how the story and the relationships between Rin, Kitay, Nezha, and Venka further develop! Can it be November already please I need to read this book !!

5. Biggest Disappointment so far?

Amazon.com: Imagine Me (Shatter Me Book 6) eBook: Mafi, Tahereh ...

This book was such a disappointment that I didn't have the energy to write a full review for it. Imagine Me by Tahereh Mafi was full of bad plot, bad writing, and bad characters. I got annoyed by characters I came to love before and found the plot full of fillers.

6. Biggest Surprise so far?

The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle Book 1 ...

Although The Poppy War series took over my life for a couple of weeks, I would have the say The Singing Hills Cycle by Nghi Vo surprised me the most. It might be because I has no idea what the cycle was about before reading The Empress of Salt and Fortune, but regardless I was surprised by Vo's ability to pack so much story and meaning within 100 pages.

7. Favorite New to You or Debut Author?

Circe by Madeline Miller, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®

I really enjoyed Madeline Miller's writing in Circe. I don't usually enjoy first person POV, but Miller pulled it off so well that I didn't consciously realize it was first person POV until like 50 pages in. Her prose is so beautiful and it's just *chef's kiss*.

8. Favorite Character?

The Poppy War - R. F. Kuang - HardcoverAmazon.com: Vengeful (Villains Book 2) eBook: Schwab, V. E. ...

I narrowed this down to about four characters, and yes, three of them are from The Poppy War series.
  • Fang Runin (The Poppy War Series)
    • I love her so so much. She is so strong yet so flawed!! She is such a multidimensional character and her character development so far has been one of my favorites! She learns to come to terms with her actions, gains agency, and lets go of the guilt and shame that has fueled her revenge for so long.
  • Chen Kitay (The Poppy War Series)
    • I would protect Kitay with my life. His character is complex and I just want him to be happy and safe :(( I also adored his friendship with Rin and how they would do anything for each other I love best friends!!
  • Yin Nezha (The Poppy War Series)
    • He's an asshole but he's trying to be a better person! And I love him for that!! He's a person who has had certain values and morals instilled in him since birth, and it is so great to see him begin to question if he actually believes them himself (which I think A LOT of people struggle with to be honest).
  • Victor Vale (Villains)
    • I was slightly disappointed with Victor's character in Vengeful but I still love him so much. He is a complex, multidimensional character who is ruthless and calculating, yet is also able to make room in his heart for his new family. He would do anything for those he cares about and I love that about him.
9. Book you want to read by the end of the year?

There are a couple of books on my TBR that I've been meaning to read but have been putting it off!

The Song of Achilles (Enhanced Edition), : A Novel - Kindle ...Night Sky with Exit Wounds - Kindle edition by Vuong, Ocean ...The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle Book 1) - Kindle ...
Wolfsong (Green Creek Book 1) - Kindle edition by Klune, TJ ...Amazon.com: A Darker Shade of Magic: A Novel (Shades of Magic Book ...
  • The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
    • I've known about this book for years but I never had the time to read it. I really enjoy Miller's writing so I am excited, and slightly fearful, to read this book (because I will feel lots of emotions).
  • Night Sky with Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong
    • This book is a collection of poems that speak of family, memory, war, grief, and melancholia. I often feel disconnected from Vietnamese and Vietnamese American culture, so I hope that by reading books by Vietnamese authors I will be able to better understand what my family has gone through.
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle) by Patrick Rothfuss
    • I have heard many name this series the best fantasy series of all time, so I really want to read this soon! I've also been watching the first campaign for Critical Role and Rothfuss appears in a couple of episodes :0 He's a really cool dude!
  • Green Creek series by T.J. Klune
    • I've never read a book about werewolves before I'm kind of excited?? I've heard a lot of good things about this series so I'm excited to read it!
  • ADSOM by V.E. Schwab
    • I really enjoy Schwab's writing and her world building! I love the Villains series so I have high hopes for this series!
I think I'll be able to finish all these books by the end of the year :^) There are about 10 books total so haha...hopefully.

- lian

No comments:

Post a Comment