Saturday, June 13, 2020

[BOOK REVIEW] The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo

Amazon.com: The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills ...


Rating: ★★★★★ 4.5 stars


Genres: Fiction, Fantasy, LGBT


Synopsis:

“With the heart of an Atwood tale and the visuals of a classic Asian period drama The Empress of Salt and Fortune is a tightly and lushly written narrative about empire, storytelling, and the anger of women.


A young royal from the far north is sent south for a political marriage. Alone and sometimes reviled, she has only her servants on her side. This evocative debut chronicles her rise to power through the eyes of her handmaiden, at once feminist high fantasy and a thrilling indictment of monarchy.”


I really enjoyed reading this book! Although it was only about 100 pages, Nghi Vo impressively expressed a great deal within those pages. The prose was beautiful, though I was a bit confused at the beginning since I jumped into the book without reading the synopsis beforehand. Nevertheless, I was still pulled into the story, with its riveting storyline and flashbacks. I really loved how there were stories within the stories told: stories of resilience, rebellion, and feminism. However, I read this book over a couple of weeks due to school, so the story didn’t have as strong an impact on me than if I were to read it in one sitting. I feel like because of this I don’t have anything else to say, beside that it is a beautifully written and interesting book with a diverse cast! I am excited to read where Chih’s journey takes them next!


- lian


No comments:

Post a Comment